Monday, May 30, 2011

When Dreams become Realities

Once a passing notion that "wouldn't it be cool" to the thought that it might be a far fetched possibility to an actual desire to try, running a Marathon became a bucket list goal.

Signing up for my first running clinic in August 2009, I could hardly run 3 kms with out needing to stop to catch my breathe. I was always the last one back to the store and most often running by myself. Then on a cold October morning with the support and encouragement of my spouse I was ready to run my first 10km race. While it wasn't pretty we crossed the finish line with me huffing and gasping for air, but we finished. Just a short few months after starting. I was proud!

So how do you get from 10 long km races to tackling a full Marathon? Yes 42.25 Km.

What started as a dream, and became a possibility to strive for, was now a real challenge. Initially the plan was to run the Marathon in December 2010, in Vegas. but for some reason we never booked the trip and as the deadline got closer my back got sorer. Besides the physical issues. my head just wasn't ready. Now anyone who runs long distances will tell you the race is 50% physical and 50% mental and I just wasn't mentally ready.

Stubborn enough not to give up I got back on the training mill right after Christmas and stuck to the schedule with determination that I could do it!

So this year we had the coldest winter that I can remember and so my training started with running on the treadmill. Not a whole lot of fun and quite boring but every Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I pushed through the kilometers. Then in March I went back to running with the Running Room Marathon class and met 3 amazing ladies to run with. We were all striving to run the 2011 Calgary Marathon and we became great friends.

When you run between 19 and 32kms each Sunday morning you have lot's of time to bond and bond we did. Always encouraging, we were there to support each other. You didn't want to miss a session because you felt you would be letting your friends down. So for 3-4 hours each Sunday we ran, we talked, we whined, we complained how tired we felt and we laughed. Then we ran some more. The best time was during a 32k run when we stopped at the hospital for a potty break and to replenish our water bottles. It just felt like the right place to get fixed up before starting the last 16km..lol.

After the 32 km run I knew I was ready. I had just run 32 km and if I had to I could walk the last 10 k in the actual race. I was sure I could make it!

Now I had an added advantage over my girlfriends, having my own personal coach and husband. Support to a fault he encouraged me, gave me great advice and was committed to running the race with me. This would be a fantastic gesture for anyone who had trained for the race to agree to run at my pace because I am slow. When I say race, I mean with my self and the challenge of crossing the finish line. Randy's commitment to support me was more than anyone could ask of a partner. He hadn't been able to train since he broke his ankle in February snowboarding. So not only did he miss all those long training runs, his foot is still not completely healed. I believe whether he will ever admit it or not, his ankle still hurts yet he was there to run every step with me.

A week of rain led up to the Marathon and all I could think about is please, please let it stop raining! The Saturday before, the rain stopped and a cold wind blew in. Please, please let the wind stop blowing or at least warm up.

So Sunday morning at 5am we are up eating a pre-run breakfast.. a banana and a powerbar. Wondering what to wear, shorts or warm wind pants? The wind pants won out. Then a 15 minute walk to the event site. It was beautiful out. A little cool to start but we could tell it was going to get warm real quick, so I checked my jacket and we were ready to start.

10,000 people crowded the site as 1000 Marathon and 2000, 1/2 marathon runners prepared to start the race at 7 am. We were ready and anxious to get started.

Avoiding the pitfall of many runners to start too fast, Randy and I had a plan. Stick to our pre-determined race pace and run 10 and 1s. (A Running Room strategy of running 10 minutes walking 1 minute throughout the entire race) It really works and will help you cover distances you didn't think possible.

So we are off and feeling good. The first 7 or 8kms passed in what seemed like no time. At the 13 km marker the 1/2 marathoners turned off and then the route became quite lonely. That is when we headed up the hill I had been dreading, but the training paid off. UP the hill we went and my heart rate is still under control. Then at about kilometer 18 I was wondering why I was doing this. Yes I can do it, once I get to 21 we are more than 1/2 way but those 3 km were tough. Randy definitely encouraged and supported me through my wall. Part was my stubbornness not to give in or let him down. At the end of the day I was still a long way from home so better run. Then I saw that 21km marker and from somewhere my energy came back. All through Varsity was rolling hills and I relished each decline. To me it felt like there was more downhills than uphills but Randy thinks my head was playing tricks on me, but I am thankful it felt easier than I had expected. Then we were back to that big 2km hill but this time we were definitely going down.. I love running downhill and we passed the 33 km marker. I still feel good and we are close to our target pace. It is a good day!

Somewhere after the 36km marker my body started to rebel. My back was fighting back and the running became a challenge. So we walked 2 and ran 8. Then picked a marker and walked to it and ran to the next marker and the next 5kms past. One to go and yes it was uphill. But we ran and then we hit the plateau leading up to the finish line. From where it came I do not know but hand in hand we had the energy to run full out the last 300 meters to the finish line. Run we did. 5 hours and 41 minutes later with my husband by my side I finished my first FULL Marathon. 42.25 kms!

Jennifer and friends waiting at the finsh line we all cried. A day I will never forget.
A perfect race and a perfect day. The day a distant day became a reality. A day that proved I can do anything I set my mind too and it is even better when you share it with those you love.

Thank you to all my friends who watched me run on treadmills while they watched movies, to my Sunday morning running buddies, who through rain, snow and wind made me get up and go, to family who put up with me not being around and most of all to my spouse.

Thank you Randy for all those Sunday mornings and evenings you were home alone while I was out running. Thank you for all your coaching and wisdom you shared from your experiences running marathons. Thank you for believing in me and being there to share this amazing experience. Because of you I thought it might be possible and it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment