Monday, February 15, 2010

Learning to Ski




I am not sure how long I will continue to get away with the excuse that I am still learning to ski versus I am just not good at it?? Now the fact that I put my first pair of skis on in my late thirties should count for something. Then there is the fact that I only get out once or twice a year. But the driving force is that it is a total mental game and I am just afraid of speed and being out of control. Yes I am a control freak but these days who isn't?

So when the opportunity to take a family ski vacation arose this year I was all for it. 3 dedicated days to strengthen my skills and overcome that darn fear.

Staying at the Fox Hotel in Banff, which was fabulous, we commuted to Lake Louise each morning, returning for a dip in the hot tub and supper each evening. The hot tub does need mention as it is built like a cave replicating the original hotsprings found by explorers to Banff area in the early 1900s. Too very very cool.. not the water, it was hot.

Day one worked out perfect. My niece and I took a lesson together. Now the fact that she is only 10 and has skied less than me is totally irrelavent, we skied well together. Randy and our nephew took a snowboarding lesson. Yes they both mastered the art! My Brother-in -law and my daughter skied the day together. It was a perfect day and we each had someone of comparably skill to ski with. Awesome!

The next day everyone continued to enjoy the almost deserted hill. I much prefer having the entire hill to myself, alleviates the concern of others skiing over top of you, or seeing how slow you are going. Today I expanded my horizons taking the gondela to new Green Runs. OK new for me... Thank goodness my daughter is patient as she guided me down the mountain! What a great day!

Day 3 found me skiing on my own as the other women and children decided a day at the spa was much more appealing than a 3rd day skiing. But how will I ever become a novice rather than a beginner if I don't stick with it when the opportunity presents itself. An entire day, up and down the green hill, building more and more confidence, even to the point where my totally comfortable green hills are a bit boring.LOL

While I enjoyed the day, my dear husband skied and snowboarded his heart and every muscle in his body out. With two friends from work, they challenged themselves to the nth degree. Boys will be boys!!

One day I maybe able to ski with Randy, but it will take him getting a lot older and hopefully slower and for me.... practice, practice practice. But it doesn't really matter. I love being outside, enjoying the fresh air and challenging myself. As long as we get to travel to and from the hill together, we are happy skiers!!

It was a great adventure with family, undertaking new challenges, exploring new restaurants(yes even a vegetarian restaurant which was awesome for Autumn) and just
spending time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment