Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why Journal

As I sat at the pool today capturing as much sun as possible before heading back home today, I read a article on "Why Women Journal?". I think it starts as pre-teens, when every young girl receives her first diary. I remember starting out with good intentions, but usually the novelty wore out within a few days or weeks. At the beginning of every trip I purchased a new journal, with a commitment to record the journey. Now it could be I was just to lazy, ran out of time each night or that I didn't think my life was all that exciting, but somehow documenting the first 50 years of my life just never seemed to happen. That it is 50 years is scary enough, but that I have forgotten a lot of the details is even scarier. How can life go by so fast?

I do have some great photos though, mostly due to the photography skills of my husband(s), sister, and friends. Thank goodness I didn't go alone to often or the only trace of those years would be in my memory. A funny thing about that memory though.... it has faded a bit over the years.

So back to the article. It spoke about capturing your thoughts and feeling as a source of therapy or recording so that your family could read after you pass on. Now I am thinking it might be better to share while you are still alive, but somehow that doesn't always happen. For me I am not always the greatest conversationalist. I know it, I try to work at it, but I wonder do my friends and family really know me?
They know I love travelling, thye know I love being outdoors, hiking, biking running or whatefer, they think I love working, and am happy not to do all the planning if possible but rather come along for the ride. The truth is I have planned peoples lives and careers for so many years at work, that just being able to spend time with friends and family and not do the planning is awesome.

To Janet, I can't thank you enough for being the great friend you are and having taken on the planning role for all our trips. Your research and investigation has truly helped us take full advantage of the opportunities available during our journey.

I have come to the realization that I am truly blessed and probably happier and healthier than ever. I am wealthy with family and friends, rich with experience and achievements and have the most amazing partner who has supported my through the last 14 years. He has often discretly put his dreams and goals on help me achieve mine. We have done such a great job, we now need to establish new goals and dreams.

So what does this all mean? Not sure but it has made think that I don't only want to record my travels as documentaries of where I have been, but include insights to who I am. Then maybe when my memory escapes me I can look back and marvel in the wonderful life I had/have!

No comments:

Post a Comment