Sunday, June 22, 2014

The races continue.



 The Friday before the race it was sunny and warm and so at the last minute I bought a bib from a friend who was injured and unable to run. The morning of the race it was anything but warm and certainly not sunny. This wasn't my best run as I struggled with both the cold and the running. I may have walked a few kilometres this morning. 


Another great run with Brad! 


On the Friday night before the race I asked Skylar if he might be willing to run a ten k with Mama (me) on Sunday. While he hadn't trained, he was heavily  involved in sports and lets face it, I run really slow. Skylar was up for the challenge and agreed to run with me. One km into the race he commented that it was very difficult for him to run so slow. "Could we run a bit faster please?".  Somehow he managed to stay at my pace and together we sprinted over the finish line. I was so proud! How many grandmas get to run with the grandsons? 


Next the Coutts / Ashley clan travelled to Kelowna to participate in the BMO event. Jenn and I enjoyed the 10km race, while Randy and Skylar took part in the 1/2 marathon. Again I was so proud of Skylar for running his first 1/2 marathon at 12 years of age with a very respectable time of 2 hours 6 minutes. 

 
When Lori put out a call for someone to keep her company at the Disney World half marathon for some reason Randy thought I should go, and so I did. With little to no training it was the slowest race I have ever run, but then again it was a beautiful warm morning with lots of entertainment along the route. Disney characters lined the path and running through Magic Kingdom was truly magical.  Another really fun run followed by an afternoon at the park.  We even did space mountain twice.


 The Calgary Marathon is the longest running marathon in Canada, celebrating 50 years of racking in 2014. This year Skylar ran his own race competing the 10k in 57 minutes while Jenn and I enjoyed the 10kmrun at our own slightly longer pace. It was a gorgeous day in Calgary for a run!  


While really out of order from a timeline perspective I did try one sprint triathlon with Randy's support back in 2010. A 500 meter swim, which I struggled through the entire distance.  Really I am not a good swimmer and did not enjoy one minute of the swim. Then a 20km bike ride, where  I rode my mountain bike. Getting off the bike my feet felt like bricks. They were heavy, they hurt and didn't want to bend properly, so the first 3k of the 5 k run was painful and slow. Crossing the finish line I was proud of myself for just finishing.  Might stick to running in the future though.  






No comments:

Post a Comment