Sunday, June 22, 2014

The running becomes addictive!


This was the first race I ran totally alone. While I did the half Randy completed the full marathon. I was getting stronger and enjoyed the event.

Melissa's in Banff was a tough run for me. The wind worked against us during the first part of the race blowing sand from the golf course into our faces. At times I felt like my legs were moving forward but the wind was pushing us backwards. It was hard going and not so much fun but we were on pace. Once we got out of the wind we encountered the hills. For more than five km we ran straight uphill. All I wanted to know was where was the turn around point  so we could start running downhill and finish this darn race. Randy was not impressed with my performance that day and crossing the finish line was simply a relief. Certainly not the celebration I hoped for but then again another race accomplished.
 
If you are a runner in Calgary, you get comfortable running in the cold and occasionally the snow. The night before the Calgary Police race it snowed all night. The snow and slush was so deep it felt like running through deep sand on the beach. Plus it was very icy. Running down the hills along Glenmore reservoir was extremely icy. Fortunately I only fell once but didn't hurt myself. It was slow going and Brad entertained numerous runners as he kept pace with me. I think he could have run the race in half the time if he had been on his own, but we had a lot of fun together.


In  2011 I ran my first and to date only full marathon. Unfortunately Randy broke his ankle in February 2011 and wasn't able to train with me, but I was lucky enough to meet two amazing ladies that ran with me every Tuesday & Wedneday evenings and Sunday mornings. It is their friendship and support that kept me committed and motivated through the training program. They will be friends for life. Randy healed in time to run the race with me and together we completed the full marathon with a smile and sense of pride. 


The Energizer Night Race was my best run ever. Running at night with headlights to show the way 1500 runners lite up the path. It was so much fun and I felt strong thru the entire run. Jenn completed the 5k comfortably and was waiting for us at the finish line, ready for a beer. It was a great night! 

 
Once again we were Vegas bound. This time we would be running down the strip at night. Randy dressed as Elvis and Jenn and I both dressed as his backup singers.  A blonde Afro wig and Black sequinned tops and shorts covering our running tight we looked hot and kept warm. It was a riot as spectators yelled hello to Elvis and Chris, dressed in his polyester blue suit and cowboy hat, cheered us on at several locations along the route. Truly the most fun I have ever had during a run. The next morning Jenn, Randy and I all got two dice tattooed on our legs as a memory of running the 1/2 together in Vegas. 




No comments:

Post a Comment