Thursday, October 29, 2009

Leaving the Jungle



Day 3 and we are again climbing straight up as the guides bushwacked the path through the jungle. I hadn't used a walking stick during the trek so far, but this morning I was handed a bammboo stick. About half the team was using them. At first I was a bit offended and too proud, indicating I didn't want one, but the guide insisted.

Thank goodness. When I said straight up hill it was, with huge natural steps that you really needed to lift yourself up onto. OF course after straight up, it was straight down, repeated 2 more times with the final 500 meters straight up. The walking stick was a god send as I was the first one to walk out of the jungle.

An emotional finish. Reaching the end was so gratifying and filled you with a sense of accomplishment, while leaving you a little sad. This part of the journey was over.

With a lump in the throat and a few tears, we thanked our guides who safely led us on this amazing hike. A group picture and we are off, to ride the elephants and for a short bamboo cruise down the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment